On November 21, 2009, Guy Harvey caught and tagged an estimated 150-pound blue marlin with a pop-up satellite tag. By the time the tag had popped off on May 21st, the fish had traveled 3,825 miles as it meandered toward Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula, then around Cuba, up into the Gulf of Mexico and then toward the Straits of Florida off the Keys. The Guy Harvey Research Institute (GHRI) downloaded information from the tag that not only tells researchers the path taken, but other valuable information such as the depth and water temp the fish traveled in. The more we know about the life history of fish and other ocean inhabitants, the better able we will be of help insure the health of future populations.
AFTCO, the licensee for Guy Harvey clothing, donates over $250,000 a year from sales of Guy Harvey T-shirts and other Guy Harvey sportswear, to the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation (GHOF). The GHOF then passes the donations on to credible marine research entities like the GHRI. Your purchase of a Guy Harvey clothing item directly helped to fund this blue marlin tracking program and other important marine research activities.
For a complete list of our other featured blog posts and to see the full line of Guy Harvey Sportswear, please visit: www.guyharveysportswear.com
- Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation Donates $100,000 to Guy Harvey Research Institute at NSU
- The Guy Harvey Research Institute and Marine Conservation Science
- Dr. Guy Harvey PSAT Tags a Blue Marlin Underwater
- San Juan IGFA Great Marlin Race: All Tags Report and a Record is Broken
- Blue Marlin Fishing After Filming Grouper Documentary- Part I